Vacancy: independent non-exec director
The BBSA is seeking an independent non-executive director with UK Armed Forces experience in the field of athlete and chain of command management.
The appointed individual will provide leadership and liaison to the UK Armed Forces athletes, developing the pool of talented athletes who may be selected by the BBSA to compete on the world stage.
The appointed individual should have the time and expertise to take a hands-on, supportive role to help drive the BBSA through the current Beijing Olympic cycle and into the Milan Cortina 2026 Olympic cycle, whilst maintaining optimal delivery within the limitations of the performance programmes.
Responsibilities as a Director
The successful candidate will have the following responsibilities as a Director:
- Performing their duties, whether statutory, fiduciary or common-law, faithfully, efficiently and diligently to a standard commensurate with both the functions of the role and their knowledge, skills and experience
- To exercise their powers in their role as a non-executive director having regard to relevant obligations under prevailing law and regulation, including the Companies Act 2006, the UK Corporate Governance Code and associated guidance
- To exercise relevant powers under, and abide by, the Company’s articles of association and in accordance with the Company’s policies and procedures [and internal control framework
- Providing entrepreneurial leadership and an independent perspective to the overall running of the organisation in the best interests of all its stakeholders
- To ask constructively challenging questions in order to understand the operation of the organisation fully and test the views of executive
- To ensure that the organisation complies with all rules, regulations, laws, codes of practice, guidelines, principles and generally accepted standards of performance and probity
- To ensure that the assets of the organisation are safeguarded including taking reasonable steps to detect and prevent fraud and other irregularities.
- To take an active part in Board committees in accordance with their terms of reference
- To pro-actively scrutinise the performance of the executive and the sub-committees in meeting agreed goals and objectives and monitor the reporting of performance
- To establish and maintain financial controls and systems of risk management that are robust and defensible, and to scrutinise the information provided on the implementation of these controls and systems
- To ensure that s/he understands the objectives and responsibilities of UK Sport
- To commit sufficient time to the role in light of the need to be more hands-on in the role due to the limited financial resources of the organisation
The appointed candidate should be able to demonstrate:
- effective winter sports management within the UK Armed Forces
- a proven ability to work across the rank structure within the UK Armed Forces
- experience of leading UK Armed Forces events in an ice sports setting
- evidence of elite military athlete management within the UK Armed Forces during the last five years
For a full job description, please click the link below:
All applications should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a CV and covering letter.
The closing date for applications Monday 11 October 2021 0900 hrs.
Interviews will be conducted virtually during the week commencing 18 October 2021.